Guggenheim Museum refuses to watch Hugo Boss award closely – ARTnews.com

The museum has said that the Guggenheim Museum in New York will no longer award the prestigious Hugo Boss Prize ARTnews Friday. The closely watched biannual award has raised the bar for many artists and comes with a prize money of $100,000 and is often an exhibition at a museum.

The Hugo Boss Prize was created in 1996 by the Guggenheim Museum in partnership with fashion brand Hugo Boss to honor “outstanding achievement in contemporary art, to celebrate the work of outstanding artists whose practices are among the most creative and influential of our time,” according to the museum’s website.

Related Articles

Awarded to 13 artists since its inception, the award has led artists who were already at the top of the game to even greater heights in the art world. Prize winners are Matthew Barney (1996), Douglas Gordon (1998), Marjetka Putri (2000), Pierre Huegui (2002), Rirkrit Travanegha (2004), Tasita Dean (2006), Emily Jacir (2008), Hans-Peter Feldmann ( 2010), Dana Fu (2012), Paul Chan (2014), Anika Yee (2016), Simon Lee (2018), and Diana Lawson (2020). Lawson’s win, announced in October 2020, was considered big at the time because she was the first female photographer to win the award.

Each of these artists was selected from a shortlist of other artists. Those lists were often star-studded, including artists like Cecilia Vicuña, Kevin Beasley, Kai Guoqiang, Laurie Anderson, Maurizio Cattelan, Vito Aconsi, Tino Segal, Damien Ortega, Patti Chang, Camille Henrot, Laura Owens, and Wu Tsang, Theresa Margolles and Ralph Lemon, who was announced as the winner of the Whitney Museum’s $100,000 Bucksbaum Prize earlier this week.

Just as with the artists, the award jury has over the years been equally star-studded, with some of the world’s most influential curators making the final decision, including Bessie Silva, Hans Ulrich Obrist, Okoye Enwezor, Robert Rosenblum, and Christopher. Law, and Naomi Beckwith, newly appointed principal curator of the Guggenheim Museum. Former Artistic Director of the Museum and Chief Curator, Nancy Spector, chaired the jury for each edition of the award.

When asked before ARTnews When the next award will be handed out, a spokesperson for the Guggenheim Museum said: “The Hugo Boss Prize will not continue. The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation has been honored to collaborate with HUGO BOSS since the award’s inception in 1996, to honor artists who today embrace the most innovative and critically relevant cultural currents.”

Asked ARTnews More details of the museum are not returned; ARTnews I also communicated with Hugo Boss.

(Visited 16 times, 1 visits today)

Related posts