The Memphis police lieutenant who was at the site of Tire Nichols’ violent beating has retired with benefits

Memphis police superintendent at the scene when Nichols Pictures He was beaten to death by retired officers with his entitlements the day before his dismissal hearing, according to documents filed to revoke his law enforcement certification.

Lt. Dewayne Smith was identified Friday in records obtained by the media as the officer who officials said earlier this month had retired before the hearing.

Some members of the Memphis City Council were displeased that the officer was allowed to retire before steps were taken to dismiss them, including Council Vice President J.B. Smiley Jr., who said it did not seem fair for the then-undetermined officer to keep the pension. And other benefits.

“I don’t like the fact that his parents are paying this officer to go on and on and it’s worrying,” Smiley said.

Memphis Police Force investigation
An image from a video released by the City of Memphis shows police officers speaking after a brutal attack on Nichols’ photos on January 7, 2023 in Memphis, Tennessee. Nichols died on January 10 of his injuries.

Memphis via AP

The Nichols family’s attorney said the department should not have let Smith “cowardly avoid the consequences of his actions” and retire after 25 years.

“We call on the Memphis police and officials to do everything in their power to hold Lt. Smith and all those involved fully accountable,” Attorney Ben Crump said.

Seven other Memphis officers were fired after Nichols died after a traffic stop on January 7 and five of them charged of second-degree murder. Smith was not charged in Nichols’ death.

Nichols, 29, was nearly pulled from his car when an officer threatened to shock him with a taser. He ran, but was pursued. Show the video Five officers grabbed him and beat him repeatedly with their fists, boots, and batons as he screamed at his mother.

Retraction documents against Lt. Smith reveal additional details about his actions that night.

Smith heard Nichols say “I can’t breathe” as he was backed up against a squad car, but failed to administer him medical attention or remove his handcuffs, according to the report.

Smith also did not receive reports from other officers about the use of force and told Nichols’ family he was driving under the influence, the documents said, although there was no information to support the charge. Investigators said Smith determined without evidence that Nichols was on drugs or drunk, and had taken video of him telling Nichols “I did something” when he arrived on the scene.

Additionally, Smith did not wear his body camera—violating police department policy. His actions were caught on body cameras of other officers, the documents said.

US Department of Justice Currently under review Memphis Police Department policies on the use of force, de-escalation strategies, and specialized units in response to Nichols’ death.

(Visited 5 times, 1 visits today)

Related posts